Friday, March 5, 2010

My Crazy Mixed-Up Day

My day started off like this: I realized that I am married to a wookie. Not because he's big and fuzzy and cuddly. But because he sounds like one when he sleeps. Something has got to give, because:

I got it in my head somehow that everyone at school was supposed to wear green. We've been celebrating Dr. Seuss' birthday all week and I thought that we were all wearing green in honor of Green Eggs and Ham. I told my kindergarteners to show up today in as much green as they possibly could because there was going to be a prize awarded to the class who had the most. So this morning, my 22 5 and 6-year-olds came decked out in their most verde-licious duds. There were green bows, beads, socks, tights, shoes, shirts, and even a green shark-tooth necklace. Much to my dismay, there was no such contest going on.

Unfortunately, they kept asking when the student council was coming to count up their green-ness. So, being a master of improv, I said, "let me count you all up and I'll turn it in to the principal." Fortunately there is a grocery store right next to the school and I quickly ducked out during recess to pick up some green peeps as their "prize."

As I was walking down the hall towards the exit, I noticed a man, who I assumed was a substitute teacher, using a snow shovel to prop open the door (yes we had a major snowstorm overnight). You have to have an activated I.D. badge to get into any door in the school, besides the main entrance. Hence, I presumed, the reason for the snow shovel. His minivan was parked in the drop-off/pick-up zone and for some unexplained reason, as I crossed the parking lot, he decided to back up at full speed. In other words, he punched it. In other words, I found myself running for my life. Across a snowy, slushy, slippery parking lot. He missed me by a few inches. When he realized what he had done, he did apologize, and proceeded to explain that he was trying to back up to his former parking spot. There were no parking spots available in the area he was reversing toward, by the way. I found out later that there were no male substitutes in the building today, so I still don't know who he was.

Needless to say, I came home and took a long nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment