Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy 2010!

Well, it's a new year. My accomplishments so far have consisted of sleeping in and cooking a fabulous breakfast of baked eggs with roasted tomatoes, feta, and basil. Now I'm back under the covers for a comfy-cozy writing session. I'd say I'm off to a good start.

I'm going to back up a whole week and tell you what my husband gave me for Christmas (besides a Wii Fit that has been monopolized by my kids). I actually came up with the idea a couple of months ago, and knowing that he HATES to shop, I thought this was a rather ingenious idea. I told him that I wanted 52 guaranteed date nights in 2010. He looked at me with complete skepticism. I reminded him that when we got married, we were given the advice to continue to date throughout our marriage. Not that we haven't. We have a pretty good social life. But the duty of social planning has often fallen on my shoulders. I come up with the plan. I find the babysitter or arrange for a kid swap. He shows up.

Lately, we've fallen into the Redbox trap.
Dan: "Do you want to rent a movie?"
Me: "Sure."
Dan "What do you want to get?"
Me: "I don't know."

So we end up getting something for the kids and fall asleep on the couch while they watch it.

But 52 guaranteed date nights... ahhh. My stipulation was that he doesn't get to call me on his way home from work on Friday and ask, "What do you want to do tonight?" Once a week, he has to plan, implement, and execute something for the two of us to do together. Without kids. Doesn't that sound heavenly?

After a little bit of thought and deliberation, he agreed.

I can't wait.

On Christmas morning I found a list in my stocking of 52 date-night suggestions. Here are a few of the highlights:

#13 draw each other
#14 tae kwon do match
#22 bottle fruit with Grandma
#33 eat soup and talk about nothing
#37 research cures for snoring

Should I be worried?

No comments:

Post a Comment