Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Comfort Food

Hot Jasmine Rice. Mmmm. The aromatic steam wafting its way from my little bowl to my nose instantly evokes an "aaahhh" from my throat. I can't help it. I love it. I need no sauces or fru-fru extras. Just the rice. As long as it's jasmine rice.

There's also an Indonesian curry-flavored soup called Soto soup that takes me home every time I eat it. The only way to get it is to make it myself (or actually go to my mom's house in Texas and beg her to make it for me). It's quite a process, but as soon as the first savory sip trickles across my tongue, I'm ten-years-old again.

If I'm sick, it's soft-boiled eggs. With a little salt.

And let's not forget hot bread, fresh from the oven. Slathered in butter, of course.

I know this is not the typical list of comfort foods, but they are my comfort foods. Maybe, in a way, they are a window into my personality; a profile of my background. Regardless, we all have foods that we turn to when we need that indefinable extra something.

What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment