Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Meet the In-Laws

When I got married, I lucked out in the in-law department. Today we held the funeral for my husband's grandmother. Today I saw the best in his family.

Ted, my father-in-law is loud and boisterous, and as generous a person as anyone I've ever known. A loyal Mercedes owner, my favorite story to tell about him goes like this: He had an e-class he wanted to trade in. Disgusted by the low-ball offer he was given, he said to the guy, "You dirty bastard! I'd just as soon park it in my back yard and let my grand kids play on it!" Who HASN'T wanted to say something like that to a car salesman at one time or another?

My mother-in-law, Pat, is sweet and kind and has friends all over the world. The thing I love about her is that she never uses her age as an excuse to keep from doing anything. She snow skis, water skis, shops me to my knees, and keeps up with with the latest tech. A proud grandma, her camera is never far from reach.

Julie and Susan (Susie to us) are the two big sisters I never had. Julie is smart and witty. Susie is the person who brightens everybody's doorway. My kids love raiding her candy drawer.

Scott is the big brother I never had. Scott is a sea of calm. But don't let the mild-mannered look fool you. He was in a gang when he was a kid. They called themselves Phantom Fear and walked the streets of their suburban Salt Lake City neighborhood armed with nunchucks. They made one unsuccessful attempt to buy beer.

Chris is the little brother. I already have two of my own little brothers, and I gladly add him to my little collection. Chris is funny and likes my cooking, so naturally I like him. He often gets made fun of for some of the dumb things he did as a kid, but he has recently redeemed himself by spending time with a very smart and very gorgeous blonde named Kim. If he doesn't marry her soon, I just may marry her myself. But I'd really prefer if he'd marry her instead.

Today I listened and watched as each of them spoke of their grandmother and supported each other in their loss. I can't count how many times the words "I love you" were spoken. Are we perfect? Hardly. But I wouldn't have them any other way.

1 comment: