Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Here and Now of Summer

It's summer! And it's no secret that I think summer is the best. Sunshine, shaved ice, minimal amounts of clothing -- what's not to love? I've enjoyed every minute of summer, so far. I've played lots of tennis -- outside. I've gone swimming. I've eaten lunch outside. And there's still lots of summer left to enjoy.

But I've noticed something. If you're a bit of a Pinterest addict like me, you might have noticed it, too. Lots of people are already pinning pictures of pumpkins and hearty soups and even Christmas trees! May I offer two words: STOP IT! Can't we just enjoy the summer as it is, without thinking four of five months ahead? Let's bask in its warmth for as long as we can. I happened to be at the local Walmart on the 5th of July, and do you know what I saw? A few employees were taking down the red, white, and blue stuff and replacing it with school supplies. School supplies! On the 5th of July! I nearly tripped over my own flip-flops.

Anyway, I am going to enjoy the rest of my summer by doing summer-ish things. I'm going to spend some time at the lake. And go fishing. And hiking. I'm going to ignore my wool socks and eat my weight in watermelon. I'm going to give evil looks to people driving around in their convertibles with the top up. I'm going to sit outside and get lost in a book.

Who's in?


No comments:

Post a Comment